I feel like Friday took so long to get here this week. Our wedding is in T minus 50 days and it. is. on. Full wedding mode is officially here to stay and my head is spinning in circles with all of the last minute things we have to do. It’s a bit overwhelming, but I know it’s all going to be worth it in the end :)
So, Olivia is in the whole “monkey see, monkey do” stage, and I kinda love it. She tries to do every little thing I do, and I cannot help but find it absolutely endearing.
That also includes around the house chores. For some reason, she loves to help out around the house, and I’m not complaining. Even though it takes her about three times longer than it would probably take me, I can see how proud she is of herself after she’s completed the task, and that really is worth the extra time.
Having said all of that, this week I bring you ten…
1. Cleaning up their spills– Olivia often spills her milk on the floor, and instead of repremanding her for spilling it, I simply hand her a piece of paper towel and ask her to “clean it up, please!” She will gladly clean up her mess…and then some.
which leads me into…
2. Even if there isn’t a mess, hand them a baby wipe anyway– Olivia loves to wipe things down. Give that girl a baby wipe (or a napkin, some toilet paper, a used dryer sheet….) and she is on a mission to clean everything in her sight. And I never complain because that will at least keep her occupied for a good 20 minutes.
3. Let them help with laundry– Obviously Olivia is too short to reach the washing machine, but she definitely loves to stand by and wait for me to give her a few small items to (slowly and gently) put into the dryer.
4. Trash Duty– I’ve never seen someone get so excited to throw things in the garbage. Whichever room we’re in in the house, she knows exactly where each trash can is and is always more than willing to throw anything away if you ask her.
5. Picking up the toys– You guys. This is a big one. I’ve been trying to practice with Olivia that when I sing the clean up song, she needs to start putting her toys back in her toy box. She’s definitely catching on, and I love that she is.
6. Unload the dishwasher– and load it, too! Olivia will sometimes stand by me and I’ll hand her silverware to put in the dishwasher, or if I’m in the middle of unloading it, she’ll randomly run over and start taking the silverware out!
7. Putting clothes away– Putting all of our clothes away is mainly my job. I’m lucky enough that Dominic does laundry most of the time so putting clothes away isn’t really that bad….annoying, but not that bad. I usually wait until Olivia goes to sleep to put all of our clothes away (because she likes to unfold what I’ve just folded….naturally) but sometimes, when I just want to get it done and over with, I’ll give her a small job such as putting all of the socks in the sock drawer. Because she puts one pair away at a time, I am usually able to get all of the other laundry put away before she has a chance to unfold it all again.
8. Watering the plants– Since we live in a town-home, we’re lucky enough to not have to do much of anything that has to do with the upkeep of the outside….but, from time to time, we like to water the plants and flowers in front of our place, and we let Olivia hold the hose so it seems like she’s doing all the watering!
9. Helping in the kitchen– When I’m making banana muffins, Olivia’s job is to sneak some chocolate chips in a few of them…she likes to throw them in the bowl, and I mix it together. I also let her thrown in the fruit/ice when I’m making smoothies……or milkshakes ;)
10. Making the bed– Okay, so this one is kind of more for my amusement….but she really does think she’s helping! When I make the bed, and I wave the comforter up and down to straighten it out, she is on the other side of the bed, doing the same thing. It’s so cute to watch her try to lift our huge comforter up and down, and as I wave it up, we always say, “Boo!” to each other, before the comforter goes back down again.
Like I said, these tasks are all simple enough to do yourself, in a much more speedy amount of time, but the look in their eyes, with that sense of accomplishment…..you just can’t beat it. Watching them learn and grow is such an amazing gift as a parent and we are so lucky that we have a little girl that is so eager to learn and do the things that she sees us do.
What are some chores that your toddler likes to do?
Have a good Weekend!