Happy Cinco De Mayo, Everyone!
Last week, while I was on Pinterest (of course), I came across this recipe. Baked Honey Lime Chicken Taquitos. A mouthful, I know, but you can’t shorten that. You just can’t. Anyway, I knew almost immediately that these would be a hit.
These things are SO good.
In fact, in honor of Cinco De Mayo, we’re having them again for dinner (with margaritas, of course ;) You should, too!
DISCLOSURE: I take absolutely no credit for this recipe, I wish I could though. These babies are genius.
What you need:
3 cups of shredded chicken. I used a rotisserie.
2 Tbsp of fresh lime juice
1/3 cup of honey
1 Tbsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
2 cups of shredded cheese. I used a Mexican blend that has taco seasoning
10 flour tortillas. Taco sized.
There’s also a Cilantro Lime Cream that pairs with it. We didn’t make it because we’re not big cilantro people. But if you are…well then here ya go:
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup of mild green taco sauce
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
And basically you just mix those 4 ingredients in a food processor/blender and pulse until smooth!
Now back to the good stuff.
Here’s how you make them:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, combine chicken, lime juice, honey, chili powder and mix it all around until all of the chicken is fully coated.
3. Divide chicken evenly into the center of each tortilla and then top it with cheese.
4. Roll each tortilla as tightly as possible, leaving the ends open and place them all on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Spray the tops of the taquitos and sprinkle with salt.
6. Bake for 10 minutes (we like them a little crispier, so we added an extra 5 minutes) and then serve with the Cilantro Lime Cream or like us, we just used regular sour cream!
When we first tried them, we were kind of expecting them to be a little spicy. Not sure why. But they’re actually not spicy at all. Instead, we both kind of agreed that they taste a little on the BBQ side. Totally not complaining though because we love us some BBQ. I also made a few with just cheese inside of them for Olivia, because one day she loves chicken, other days she won’t even look at it. #toddlerprobz She ate them and said, “These are very good, Mama!”
Oh and one more really weird fact about these things….they were actually even better the next day, heated up in the microwave. I know, weird, but true.