I really hate showering. It’s become one of those things that feels more like a chore than a luxury. By the end of the day, I am so tired that I’d rather just hop into bed and on the days that I try to jump in the shower before I hit that level of exhaustion, Olivia is usually awake which means she’s probably in there with me… Staring at my body, knocking over everything in the bathroom, crying over something that I can’t control at the moment because, I don’t know, I’m soaking wet?
Anyway, the fact of the matter is, I still shower. Every single night because I am a freak and literally cannot lay under my blankets unless I’m clean. It’s true, I don’t even let Dominic lay in our bed until he’s showered as well.
So in an attempt to shower as fast as humanly possible, I wash my hair two or three times a week (I don’t just do this because I’m lazy, I’ve actually never been one to wash my hair every day.) and the rest of the nights I wash my body, wash my face and then I’m out in about 7 minutes flat.
But then there’s one day a week that I actually look forward to shower time. Nice, sweet, 30-minute shower time. I call it my Spa Shower and it’s a great set up to my week ahead.
Here’s what you need to do for said Spa Shower:
1. Pick up your favorite deep conditioner and face mask.
2. Pick one day and time out of the week when you know you won’t get interrupted.
3. Compile a playlist of your favorite songs, or turn on your favorite Pandora station.
Here’s how you enjoy said Spa Shower:
1. Put on your music.
2. Wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
3. Wash your face with your regular face wash.
4. Rinse both.
5. Apply your deep conditioner thoroughly, and put your hair in a bun.
6. Apply your favorite face mask.
7. While your deep conditioner and face mask are working, shave your legs. (Pro tip: Use your regular hair conditioner for seriously smooth legs!)
8. Wash your body.
9. After all of that, your ten minutes of deep conditioning and face masking should be up and you can wash both off.
When you get out, you’ll feel so rejuvenated and ready to take on the day, or ready to jump into your comfortable bed, depending on the time of day you choose to enjoy your Spa Shower. I always take mine on Sunday nights. I put Olivia to sleep, put my music on low (the Alt-J Pandora station has been my jam lately) and follow those steps pretty much to a T.
My favorite face masks are from Lush and lately, you will either find me using this one or this one. My favorite deep conditioner happens to be from Target (of course). I really love this one because I don’t dry my hair at night, I just go to sleep with it wet so when I wake up in the morning, my hair feels extra healthy and my wavy hair is extra wavy. The perfect way to start a Monday morning, wouldn’t you agree?
And there you have it! Now go on and enjoy a spa shower, Mama, you deserve it!
P.S. My goal for this series is to find ways to be able to sneak in a little mom time out into our daily routines. Because like I said above, we deserve it. So now I ask: what is your favorite way to sneak in a little mom time? You can comment below or shoot me an email and I’d love to feature you on the blog!